Finland is a country rich in culture with people who respect the beauty, truth, and above all, the freedom of human expression. This environment has nurtured and produced many well-known talents in the world, each leaving their mark in their respective fields. The Finns are always open their hearts to embrace the joy as well as the beauty of art.
Moreover, the Finnish welfare society is built on education, culture and knowledge. The education is considered as a key factor in enhancing the competitiveness in Finland with the aims of quality, efficiency, equality and internationalization. The Finnish educational system offers equal opportunities of education for all, irrespective of matters of residency, sex, economic situation or linguistic as well as cultural background.
University of Tampere
The University is one of the largest and most popular multi-discipline university in Finland and ranks high in worldwide university rankings. The University of Tampere’s mission is to educate visionaries who understand the world and change it. The mission is approached by offering degree programmes in various fields. Our two-year Master’s degree programmes will equip you with various skills valued by employers, including knowledge of your specific field, gathering and distilling information, and presenting it to various audiences.
Programmes open for application in 2017 (application period 1.12.2016 – 13.1.2017)
- Biomedical Technology
- Computational Big Data Analytics
- Gender Studies
- Global and Transnational Sociology
- Human-Technology Interaction
- Innovative Governance and Public Management (Nordic Master Programme)
- Internet and Game Studies
- Leadership for Change
- Media Education
- Peace, Mediation and Conflict Research
- Public and Global Health
- Public Choice
- Research and Innovation in Higher Education (Erasmus Mundus Programme)
- Software Development
- Teacher Education
Next intake in 2018
All Master’s programmes offered in the University of Tampere start in August 2017 and last for two years.
Fees and Scholarships
The University of Tampere Scholarships Programme intended for students who are required to pay tuition fees in Master’s degree programmes offered in English will be implemented as of autumn 2017. A substantial number of scholarships will be available for the most talented fee-paying students. The scheme consists of two scholarship categories.
- The University of Tampere tuition fee scholarships cover either 100% or 50% of the tuition fees in a two-year Master’s degree programme.
- The University of Tampere global student award for academic excellence scholarships cover 100% of the tuition fees and include a 7,000 € annual scholarship to cover the student’s living expenses during the two-year Master’s degree programme.
During the admissions process, the applicants have the possibility to indicate their wish to apply for the scholarships. The decision on the granted scholarship will be communicated to the applicant together with information on admission.
The scholarship recipients’ progress in studies will be monitored each semester. In order to qualify for the scholarship in the second year, the student must earn at least 55 credits as detailed in the personal study plan.
Further information on scholarships and instructions on how to apply will be updated on this page before the application period begins.
University of Tampere
FI-33014 University of Tampere
University of Turku
The University of Turku is an international research university and an active academic community of 25,000 students and employees from over 100 different countries. The University is located in Southwest Finland, in the historical city centre of the vivid Student city of Turku. The University ranks frequently among the best 1 % of universities in worldwide university rankings, being e.g. the most international university in Finland (THE Ranking 2016). The University of Turku offers multidisciplinary study and research opportunities in seven faculties and seven independent units.
The teaching staff at the University of Turku is determined to develop the students’ skills for working life, as well as new study environments and methods. The University’s aim and ambition is to provide students with innovative problem solving skills and a high-standard, multidisciplinary education based on the latest research. The graduates of UTU are creative experts and future visionaries who reach beyond the traditional discipline borders. Thanks to the outstanding services, compact campus and active student life, international students feel at home and safe from the very beginning of their stay.
In the application period starting on 1 December 2016, the University offers 13 International Master’s Degree Programmes taught in English.
International Master’s Degree Programmes at the University of Turku
- Master’s Degree Programme in Biomedical Imaging
- Master’s Degree Programme in Digital Health and Life Sciences
- Master’s Degree Programme in Drug Discovery and Development
- Master’s Degree Programme in East Asian Studies
- Master’s Degree Programme in Embedded Computing
- Master’s Degree Programme in Food Development
- Master’s Degree Programme in Futures Studies
- Master’s Degree Programme in Gender Studies
- Master’s Degree Programme in Information Security and Cryptography
- Master’s Degree Programme in Global Innovation Management
- Master’s Degree Programme in Law and Information Society
- Master’s Degree Programme in Learning, Learning Environments and Educational Systems
- Master’s Degree Programme in Molecular Biotechnology and Diagnostics
Fees and Scholarships
A scholarship scheme for students liable to pay tuition fees will support students participating in fee-charging degree programmes.
The University of Turku scholarship programme has three categories:
- 2-year scholarship covering the entire tuition fee for 2 academic years;
- 2-year scholarship covering 50 % of the tuition fee for 2 academic years;
- 1-year scholarship covering the tuition fee for the second academic year.
A scholarship can be granted to up to 30 % of the admitted students liable to pay tuition fees.
How to apply for a scholarship?
The 2-year scholarships are aimed at new students. You can apply for this scholarship at the same time as applying for admission to one of our Master’s Degree Programmes. The scholarships are granted on the basis of your academic performance during your previous academic studies.
The 1-year scholarship is aimed at (fee-paying) students already studying in one of our Master’s Degree Programmes. It can be granted on the basis of outstanding performance during the first study year.
The University of Eastern Finland
The University of Eastern Finland, UEF, is a multidisciplinary university, which offers teaching in more than 100 major subjects. We are one of the largest universities in Finland, and home to approximately 15,000 students and 2,800 members of staff. We are ranked high among the world’s young universities, and among the world’s leading 400 universities by, for example, ARWU (2016).
In addition to a high standard of teaching, we offer our students a modern study environment, which is under constant development. Student well-being is among our primary concerns.
For international students, the University of Eastern Finland offers a variety of Master’s degree programmes taught in English. We provide education in the fields of the humanities, education, forest sciences, natural sciences, health sciences, social sciences, law, economics and business administration.
Application period for studies starting in autumn 2017 will be 1.12.2016 – 13.1.2017.
- Linguistic Sciences, Joensuu
- English Language and Culture, Joensuu
- Learning, Teaching and Counselling in Intercultural Context, Joensuu (former MDP in Educational Sciences)
- Early Language Education for Intercultural Communication, Joensuu
- European Forestry (Erasmus Mundus), Joensuu
- Forestry (CBU) , Joensuu
- Information Technology (IMPIT), Joensuu
- Research Chemists, Joensuu
- Photonics, Joensuu
- Wood Materials Science, Joensuu
- Public Health (MPH), Kuopio
- General Toxicology, Kuopio
- Biomedicine (BioMed), Kuopio
- Environment, Natural Resources and Climate Change: MDP in Environmental Policy and Law, Joensuu
- Border Crossings: Global and Local Societies in Transition, Joensuu
- International Economic and Resources Law: MDP in Law, Joensuu
- Tourism Marketing and Management, Joensuu (new)
- Innovation Management, Kuopio
- International Business and Sales Management, Kuopio
Next intake for 2018
- Medical Physics, Kuopio
Fees and Scholarships
Tuition fees will be charged from non-EU/EEA students from the autumn 2017 onwards. The University of Eastern Finland will have a substantial number of scholarships available for students who are required to pay tuition fees in Master’s degree programmes offered in English. The scholarships will be available for the most talented fee-paying students. The scholarship can cover the tuition fee either in full (100%) or partially (80%).
Scholarships are awarded for two academic years on the condition of completing 55 ECTS credits per academic year. Students who were not awarded a scholarship when applying for admission to the university may still be eligible for a scholarship in their second year, provided that they have applied for a scholarship and completed the required 55 ECTS credits during the first academic year as detailed in the personal study plan.
In addition to the scholarship for studies, the faculties can grant an annual scholarship to cover the student’s living expenses during the two-year Master’s degree programme. In Finland students must be able to cover all their own living costs. Own finances are also one of the requirements for the Finnish residence permit, and finances need to be available permanently on the student’s bank account for the whole period the permit is applied for. Financing one’s stay and studies in Finland by working is not possible. For more information about residence permit, please see Migri.fi.
University contact details:
Telephone: +358 29 445 8990
Street address: Yliopistokatu 2, Aurora building
Postal address: P.O. Box 111, FI-80101 Joensuu
Street address: Yliopistonranta 1 C, Canthia building
Postal address: P.O. Box 1627, FI-70211 Kuopio