AsemconnectVietnam – Environmental protection, rural clean water supply and food safety assurance are common responsibility of the whole society; to concentrate large and important resources of the State and promote mobilization of resources of the society for environmental protection, rural clean water supply and food safety on the principle of prioritizing the support of natural resources in disadvantaged, deep-lying and remote areas
– Environmental protection, clean water supply, food safety are key priority fields in implementation of national target program on building new countryside in a periof of 2021-2025 with orientation of ecological agriculture, modern countryside, smart farmers in order to improve quality of life of rural people.
– Environmental protection, rural clean water supply and food safety assurance are common responsibility of the whole society; to concentrate big and important resources of the State and promote mobilization of resources of society for environmental protection, rural clean water supply and food safety on principle of prioritizing support of natural resources in disadvantaged, deep-lying and remote areas.
– Generated waste must be managed in direction of being considered as a resource, encouraging integrated management of waste along entire waste life cycle from generation to final treatment in direction of a circular and closed economy in accordance with natural, socio-economic characteristics of each locality.
1. Common objectives
Effectively implement contents of environmental sanitation, food safety, rural clean water supply in new countryside construction, contributing to creating a safe and sustainable rural living environment; building bright, green, clean, beautiful, safe rural landscape and full traditional cultural identity; contribute to protecting health, improving quality of life of rural people, making countryside become a worth living place.
2. Specific objectives until 2025
– At least 55% of rural population has sustainable access to standard clean water with a minimum quantity of 60 liters/person/day; 40% of rural population can use clean water from centralized water supply works; ensure household-scale supply of clean water for daily-life activities for households in areas that do not have access to centralized water supply, areas of scarcity, difficulty in water sources and areas frequently affected by natural disasters.
– At least 50% of rural households implement waste separation solutions at source; 80% of domestic solid waste is collected and treated; Each province and city directly shall deploy 1-2 models of domestic waste treatment at district level or higher with appropriate technology.
– At least 15% of rural households have domestic wastewater collected and treated by appropriate and effective methods; 50% of district-level units have deployed an appropriate and effective decentralized collection and treatment of domestic wastewater in clusters or areas.
– At least 80% of livestock waste and 60% of agricultural by-products must be collected, reused and recycled into environmentally friendly materials, fuels and products.
– 95% of packages of plant protection drugs after use are collected and treated according to regulations.
– 100% of solid waste and 50% of production wastewater from traditional craft villages are collected and treated according to regulations.
– At least 35% of districts have projects to improve quality of surface water environment in public areas and have a model of building or renovating landscape of ponds and lakes.
– Having 100% of agro-forestry-fishery production and trading establishments that meet all conditions to ensure food safety; 80% of communes have self-managed community groups on food hygiene and safety.
– At least 85% of rural households and 95% of schools and health stations have hygienic latrines built, managed and used up to standards and regulations.
III. Scope of implementation
1. Time: From 2022 to the end of 2025.
2. Scope of implementation: Deploying nationwide.
1. Rural clean water supply
a) Review, adjust and update content of rural clean water supply in rural plan, ensuring sustainable rural water supply, adapting to climate change and water resource degradation.
b) Support to invest in a number of clean water supply models in specific areas, areas with scarcity and difficulties in water resources (drought, water shortage, saline intrusion, flood, inundation, deep-lying areas, remote, mountainous, coastal, border and island areas).
c) Repairing, renovating, upgrading and expanding existing centralized clean water supply works (in which focusing on upgrading water quality treatment technology, increasing capacity, expanding water supply network, stabilizing water resources exploited under influence of natural disasters and climate change).
d) Develop and pilot a number of models of safe water collection, treatment and storage for households or groups of households and models of household water supply adapting to climate change for residents in special areas, not yet able to access to centralized water supply, scarce, and difficult in terms of water sources.
2. Domestic solid waste
a) Provide technical support, equipment and biological products to classify domestic solid waste at households; develop and implement models of classification and collection of daily-life solid waste suitable to areas with different population densities and purposes of waste use after classification.
b) Organize a thorough and effective collection network; forming and perfecting collection methods suitable to characteristics of each locality; arrange and invest in infrastructure of suitable daily-life solid waste collection points and transfer stations; equip facilities and equipment for storing garbage in public areas to ensure convenience, environmental friendliness and beauty.
c) Develop, implement and complete a market linkage model to recover, produce and consume recycled and reused products from waste (such as organic fertilizer products…).
d) Support investment in building from 01 to 02 domestic waste treatment models at district or inter-district scale, applying appropriate technology, meeting environmental technical regulations in each province or city directly centrally.
3. Domestic wastewater
a) Review and develop a plan for organizing drainage and treatment of daily-life wastewater, integrating it into commune’s rural construction plan and implementing drainage and domestic wastewater treatment works according to regulations.
b) Develop and replicate models of rural daily-life wastewater collection and treatment suitable to characteristics of each locality.
c) Implementing a number of models of rural domestic wastewater collection and treatment, applying low-cost, ecological technology; model of collection of fees for domestic wastewater treatment in rural residential areas.
4. Agricultural waste and by-products
a) Develop and replicate models of treatment of livestock waste and agricultural by-products in direction of waste recycling for agricultural production and other purposes.
b) Model of supply and exchange of livestock waste to form a waste exchange market or transfer it to producers of organic fertilizers.
c) Building and replicating plastic waste management model in agricultural production.
5. Plant protection drug packaging
a) Investing in equipment, tools and means of collecting, storing and transporting plant protection drug packages after use, ensuring that they are not released into environment.
b) Complete technology and build pilot models of technology application on treatment of used pesticide packaging into ordinary waste.
c) Completing and replicating management models of used plant protection drug packages to suit local conditions.
6. Environmental protection of craft villages
a) Support to invest in, upgrade, build and operate an appropriate system of collection and treatment of wastewater and solid waste to meet requirements of environmental protection for each traditional craft village, focusing on following groups: trade villages for food processing, food production, animal husbandry, slaughtering and a group of craft villages for silk incubation, weaving, dyeing and tanning.
b) Support to build models for pollution remediation and environmental improvement in seriously polluted craft villages; handle pollution in craft village areas that have been seriously polluted after relocating production facilities.
7. Rural environmental landscape
a) Formulate, approve and implement district-level projects on improving quality and landscape of surface water environment in public areas; organize monitoring of water quality changes in public ponds and lakes located in rural residential areas; renovate landscape and restore quality of water environment when it is polluted.
b) Support development and replication of landscape improvement models in direction of multi-function; increase planting of trees in public areas and traffic routes; linking landscape construction with rural tourism development and building grassroots cultural life.
8. Food safety for agriculture, forestry and fishery
a) Communes and districts that meet newly-advanced rural standards have approved organic agricultural production schemes.
b) Supporting development of food safety market models at district, inter-district, provincial and inter-provincial levels to ensure food hygiene and safety requirements.
c) Organize training, improve supervision capacity of community on food safety; develop self-managed community groups on food hygiene and safety; propagandize, train, raise awareness and capacity on compliance with regulations on food safety assurance for producers.
9. Cleaning work
a) Gradually eliminate unsanitary latrines, stop using open-air toilets, focus on safe hygiene for women and vulnerable groups and access to sanitation for people with disabilities; mobilize support for poor and near-poor households to build and use hygienic latrines.
b) Completing, popularizing and replicating models of simple hygienic latrines, responding to natural disasters and climate change, suitable to local practices and people’s ability to pay; pilot applying multi-function toilet model in some schools, cultural houses and offices.
1. Communication and capacity building
a) Transforming thinking, awareness, knowledge, laws and actions of people and new rural officials at all levels on impacts of environment, food safety and clean water on human health and production activities.
b) Diversifying communication forms on environmental protection, food safety and rural clean water supply, promoting effectiveness of multimedia communication, social networks and new forms of communication; build periodic programs and columns on environmental protection, food safety and rural clean water supply, periodically broadcast on television, radio, written and electronic newspapers.
c) Launch thematic emulation movements to praise, honor and reward collectives and individuals with outstanding achievements, solutions and initiatives to reduce pollution and improve environment, ensure food safety and rural clean water supply; organize competitions in bright, green, clean and beautiful countryside.
d) Training and capacity building for reporters and communicators in community on agricultural and rural environmental protection and operation of water supply and waste treatment works.
e) Develop sample communication product sets, sample designs on environmental protection, food safety and rural clean water supply.
2. Developing and perfecting mechanisms and policies
a) Develop and implement mechanisms and policies on resource mobilization, management and operation of clean water supply and waste treatment facilities on basis of public-private cooperation.
b) Develop and perfect mechanism for inter-sectoral coordination and community management in environmental protection, food safety and rural clean water supply; integrate into local conventions, conventions and regulations; regulations to effectively operate clean water supply models and works and protect rural environment.
c) Review and finalize policies on encouragement, incentives and support for rural environmental protection, clean water supply and food safety for specific regions and disadvantaged areas.
d) Develop and implement specific mechanisms and policies in organic fertilizer production, waste recycling and reuse.
e) Review and finalize policies on planning and land management related to works of environmental protection, clean water supply and food safety; review and complete rural plan of communes and districts in direction of integrating contents on environmental protection, clean water supply and food safety; proactively arrange land fund in service of clean water and environmental protection works in approved land use plan.
3. Science and technology
a) Review, update, transfer and apply technology on water supply and environmental protection in accordance with local conditions in direction of reducing investment and operating costs, simple and friendly operation techniques environmentally friendly; prioritize selection of domestic production technologies, modern, circular and environmentally friendly technologies.
b) Review, develop and promulgate regulations, standards and economic-technical norms and unit prices on environmental protection, clean water supply and food safety.
c) Enhance digital transformation in implementation of the program’s contents; integrate implementation and construction of models on environmental protection, clean water supply and food safety in science and technology program for new countryside construction in a period of 2021-2025.
4. Resource mobilization
a) Review and finalize policies on mobilizing resources on socialization for environmental protection, food safety and rural clean water supply in accordance with specific conditions of each region; mechanism for mobilizing contributions of water users and resources in environmental protection, food safety and rural clean water supply.
b) Balancing funds from recurrent expenditures of localities, national target programs, ODA capital, international cooperation projects, loan reciprocal loans, other programs, projects and schemes for implementation of the program; prioritize funding for budget allocation for implementation of community-based tasks, deployed in disadvantaged communes and specific socio-economic localities.
c) Prioritize access to capital from environmental protection fund, get credit loans at preferential interest rates, expand loan margin, extend loan period for investment in construction of works on environmental protection and rural clean water supply.
d) Enhance sharing and exchange of information on formulation and implementation of the program with other countries and international organizations; transferring and applying new technologies, training human resources to implement the program.
5. Promoting role of enterprises, community, Vietnam Fatherland Front and socio-political organizations
a) Promoting role of enterprises and socio-political organizations in coordinating with authorities in construction and operation of projects, systems and models on environmental protection, food safety and environmental protection, rural clean water supply on basis of coordination regulations, assignment of responsibilities and clear, transparent and high consensus financial mechanism; encourage formation of cooperatives, cooperative groups, groups, teams and groups of environmental protection to take charge of management and operation of post-investment environmental protection model in locality.
b) Residential communities, self-governing organizations in charge of environmental protection, food safety and rural clean water supply shall develop regulations and conventions with specific and clear contents; monitoring use of works by local people.
c) Bringing into play roles and responsibilities of Vietnam Fatherland Front, socio-political organizations, communities and people in propaganda, supervision and criticism on environmental protection, safety and environmental protection.
d) Continue to maintain, improve quality and develop network of grassroots environmental protection propagandists.
VI. Capital sources and capital structure
1. Funds for implementation of the program include:
– Program’s central budget capital is allocated in central budget capital plan of national target program on building new countryside for a period of 2021-2025.
Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development shall coordinate with Ministry of Planning and Investment and Ministry of Finance in synthesizing, reviewing, balancing and allocating central budget capital to realize program’s objectives and task of total capital of approved national target program on new rural development for a period of 2021-2025, ensuring proper and full compliance with law on state budget, regulations on management, manage and organize implementation of national target programs and other relevant legal documents.
– Local budget capital.
– Socialized capital (enterprises, cooperatives, other economic forms, residential communities…).
– Capital integrated from other programs and projects.
– Other lawfully mobilized capital.
2. Funds for management and supervision of implementation of program at all levels shall be deducted from the State budget capital for implementation of national target program on building new countryside at all levels which are assigned annually.
3. Financial mechanism of the program: To comply with financial mechanism of national target program on building new countryside for a period of 2021 – 2025 and provisions of current laws.
VII. Organizing implementation
1. Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development
a) Assume prime responsibility for and coordinate with Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment and relevant central ministries and branches in performing following tasks:
– Develop an overall and annual plan to implement the program’s contents; carefully review contents and tasks of the program, ensuring that they do not overlap with contents and tasks of other thematic programs and other projects approved by competent authorities; direct and guide localities to implement the program according to schedule and current regulations.
– Summarize funding needs for implementation of the program’s contents and tasks in central budget capital plan for a period of 2021 – 2025 and annually of national target program on building new rural areas for a period of 2021 – 2025 and send it to Ministry of Finance and Ministry of Planning and Investment to summarize and report to the Prime Minister according to regulations.
– Select and approve list of pilot models under program and guide localities to implement them as a basis for policy formulation and replication throughout the country.
– Promote communication, awareness raising and thinking transformation of people and officials in new rural areas at all levels on clean water supply, environmental protection and food safety; promptly praise and reward organizations and individuals in work of environmental protection.
b) Develop and improve mechanisms, policies, guidelines and implementation of contents on rural clean water supply; treatment of livestock waste and agricultural by-products; collect and process plant protection drug packages; renovating rural environmental landscape; food safety of agro-forestry-fisheries; rural domestic wastewater treatment at household and village level.
c) Monitor, supervise, summarize and periodically report to the Prime Minister on implementation of the program; propose adjustments and supplements to program’s contents if necessary; organize a preliminary and summary of implementation of the program.
2. Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment
a) Assume prime responsibility for and coordinate with Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development and relevant ministries and branches in supplementing and completing regulations on environmental protection suitable to rural conditions; guide implementation of environmental criteria in construction of new rural areas as assigned by the head of the Central Steering Committee for localities to base their implementation on; formulating mechanisms, policies, guidelines and implementing contents on classification, collection and treatment of daily-life solid waste, environmental protection of craft villages, concentrated rural daily-life wastewater treatment.
b) Direct Vietnam environmental protection fund to prioritize allocating loans to build models in the program; to step up direction of inspection and examination of environmental protection activities in rural areas; strictly sanction acts causing environmental pollution in accordance with the provisions of law.
c) Coordinate with Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development in guiding, inspecting and supervising implementation of the program according to schedule and current regulations.
3. Other relevant ministries and branches:
a) Ministry of Planning and Investment: Based on proposal of Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, summarizing needs and projecting allocation of central budget capital to implement the program into national target program plan, participate in construction of new rural areas in a period of 2021 – 2025 and annual plans and submit them to competent authorities for consideration and decision.
b) Ministry of Finance: Based on proposal of Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, summarizing needs and projecting allocation of non-business funding for implementation of the program in non-business funding plan of the program, national construction plan of new rural areas in a period of 2021 – 2025 and annually to submit to competent authorities for consideration and decision.
c) Ministry of Science and Technology: Promote application of technologies in environmental protection, food safety and rural clean water supply suitable to specific conditions of each region; appraise and transfer advanced, suitable and environmentally friendly technologies; reviewing, formulating and promulgating regulations, standards, economic and technical norms and unit prices for relevant contents and activities.
d) Ministry of Health: Guide and implement contents of personal hygiene; direct, inspect and guide local promulgation of local technical regulations on quality of clean water used for domestic purposes for the centralized water supply system.
Vietnam Bank for Social Policies: Create favorable conditions and support households and businesses participating in implementation of the program to receive loans for implementation, reciprocal capital and contribute to building models; study and propose Prime Minister to consider and decide to increase the lending rate per household to implement the program’s contents.
e) Other relevant ministries and branches, based on their assigned tasks, actively propagate about environmental protection, clean water supply and food safety in new rural construction; advise the head of Steering Committee on contents, tasks and solutions to implement program according to assigned functions and tasks.
4. People’s Committees of provinces and cities
a) Formulate specific plans to implement the program’s contents; direct People’s Committees of districts, communes, relevant agencies and units to implement the program; formulate, review and complete relevant projects, plans and master plans according to the program’s contents.
b) Prioritize allocation of funds from provincial and city budgets for performance of rural environmental protection tasks within scope of the program; implement preferential policies and support to implement the program; allocate adequate local reciprocal budgets for approved and implemented projects in the province and city; mobilize other resources, especially mobilizing enterprises to participate in building models.
c) Approving and implementing models under the program; arrange premises and essential infrastructure according to regulations to facilitate deployment of models of rural clean water, environmental protection and relocation of production facilities that cause serious environmental pollution in the village;
d) Regularly inspect and urge implementation of the program; promote communication and capacity building of new rural people and officials at all levels on the contents of the program;
e) Promoting role of enterprises, residential communities, Vietnam Fatherland Front and socio-political organizations in implementing the program’s contents.
5. Request Central Committee of Vietnam Fatherland Front and central agencies of socio-political organizations
a) Strengthening information, propaganda and mobilizing union members and members to actively participate in environmental preservation and protection in rural areas.
b) Coordinating with authorities to participate in construction and operation of works, systems and models on clean water supply and environmental protection; direct grassroots level to take charge of management and operation of the pilot models to ensure efficiency and practicality.
c) Participating in monitoring, criticizing and evaluating the satisfaction of beneficiaries of the implemented models.
d) Continue to maintain and develop a network of grassroots environmental protection propagandists.Source: Vitic/ thuvienphapluat.vn